Tai Chi is a gentle form of exercise that can help maintain strength, flexibility, and balance. Participation is not limited to patients with arthritis.
Our Tai Chi for Arthritis is an 8-week session that meets twice a week. Each class includes a series of warm-up exercises and basic movements. Participants are encouraged to practice Tai Chi on a daily basis. It is recommended that participants discuss with their provider prior to participation.
One of the best features of Tai Chi is that it can be adapted to fit just about any fitness level making it generally safe for all ages. The gentle flowing low-impact movements are easy on your joints if you have arthritis. It can increase your flexibility and improve your balance, reducing your risk of falls.
When learned correctly and performed regularly, Tai Chi can be a positive part of an overall approach to improving your health. The benefits of Tai Chi may include:
- Decreased stress, anxiety and depression
- Improved mood
- Improved aerobic capacity
- Increased energy and stamina
- Improved flexibility, balance and agility
- Improved muscle strength and definition
Cost is $30.00 for 16 classes (unless otherwise noted). Financial assistance is available upon request. Registration is required. Participants agree to commit to attending the 8-week session (16 classes).
An orientation class for fall prevention is recommended and is held on January 10, 2019, at 10:00 am - 12:00 pm or 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm.
Tai Chi for Arthritis is taught by a certified instructor trained and credentialed by the Tai Chi for Health Institute.
Please note that the Tuesday and Thursday session starting January 22, 2019 at 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm will meet in the Lourdes Center for Oral Health Community Room, 219 Front Street, Binghamton.
Dates & Times
- April 08, 2019, Starting 4/8/19 at 12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays for 8 weeks
- April 09, 2019, Starting 4/9/19 at 12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for 8 weeks
- April 10, 2019, Starting 4/10/19 at 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays for 8 weeks
- April 08, 2019, Starting 4/8/19 at 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for 8 weeks
- April 16, 2019, Starting 4/16/19 at 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for 8 weeks - Lourdes Center for Oral Health, 219 Front Street, Binghamton
- April 13, 2019, Starting 4/13/19 at 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Saturdays for 8 weeks - $20 registration fee