169 Riverside Drive, Binghamton, NY 13905
Phone: 607-798-5596 Fax: 607-798-5063
Spiritual Care is based on the belief in God, the dignity of all as created by God in His likeness, and therefore, deserving of respect from conception to death, regardless of race, color, creed, or social/economic status.
We are called to witness to the healing mission of Jesus throughout our healthcare ministry that reaches throughout the many services of the hospital and into the community we serve.
What is a chaplain?
Because we believe in the total care of patients, the chaplains throughout Lourdes provide pastoral care and counseling for the religious, spiritual and emotional needs of patients and their families in the face of a new diagnosis, when dealing with the unknown, and in anticipation of death, grief and loss.
At times, the hospital staff chaplains serve as facilitators of communication between the patient, family, hospital staff and physicians. Chaplains are available to provide compassionate care, comfort and support through listening, prayer and scripture reading and to explore bioethical issues.
Chaplains engage in routine patient visitation daily, promptly follow up on referrals from the nursing staff and provide crisis ministry during medical emergencies or death. Chaplains are an integral part of palliative care and hospice at Lourdes.
When is spiritual care available?
Chaplains are present in the hospital from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. After hours, weekends and holidays Chaplains are on-call for emergencies and available through the operator. Spiritual Care's office phone number is 798-5596. The office is open 7:30 am to 4:00 pm weekdays.
Why is spiritual care important?
A holistic approach to medical care involves not only a person's body, but also their mind and spirit.
Lourdes respects everyone's beliefs and religious traditions. A chaplain can serve as a liaison to a person's own clergy.
Our Chapel is located on the first floor in the Center wing. It is open at all times for prayer and meditation to people of all faiths.
Does Lourdes offer a daily mass?
Mass is offered Monday through Friday at 11:30 AM in our Chapel. Lourdes' mass is also televised on closed circuit television throughout the hospital. Patients can tune-in to channel 4.
No mass will be offered on weekends and certain holidays.
What services does Spiritual Care offer?
Spiritual Care offers:
- Catholic Holy Communion offered daily.
- Anointing of the Sick.
- Prayers for the dying or those close to death.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation or confession upon request.
- Emergency Baptisms.
- Mass cards.
- A prayer intention book is offered in the chapel.
- Scripture, prayer, inspirational readings.
- Bibles (English and Spanish).
- Electric Sabbath candles.
- Medals, scapulars, rosaries, and prayer cards.
- Bereavement services to remember deceased patients.
- Morning and evening prayers. Prayers are said over the hospital PA system to begin and end each day.
- End of life care and support for patients and families:
- Compassionate care and comfort.
- Consultation and assistance with tough decisions when patients/families are uncertain.
- Grief support.
- Contact local clergy (pastor, priest, rabbi, imam) and family.
- Resource person to facilitate ethical consultation.
- Serve as patient advocate.
Lourdes Spiritual Care Department
Father James Tormey, M. Div., Director
Father Krzysztof Boretto, CHS
Brother Daniel Gallucci, BCC
Father Fredrick Kooro
Judy Kuehner, Sr. Admin. Assistant
You can reach us by calling 607-798-5596 Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Chaplains can be reached after hours and on weekends through the hospital operator, 607-798-5111.