169 Riverside Drive, Binghamton, NY 13905
Phone: 607-798-5596 Fax: 607-798-5063
Front (L to R): Sr. Kathleen Haley, Judy Kuehner
Spiritual Care is based on the belief in God, the dignity of all as created by God in His likeness, and therefore, deserving of respect from conception to death, regardless of race, color, creed, or social/economic status.
What is a chaplain?
The term chaplain refers to a clergyperson or layperson who has had special training and is then commissioned by a faith group or organization to provide pastoral services in an institution, organization, or government entity.
Chaplains serve all individuals at Lourdes who are in need of spiritual care, regardless of religious tradition.
Services are available to all patients, visitors, staff, and Lourdes volunteers.
When is spiritual care available?
Chaplains are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Chaplains are in-house from 7:00 AM - 10:30 PM, Monday through Friday. A chaplain is also in-house on weekends and holidays from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. The hospital operator can page chaplains after hours.
Why is spiritual care important?
A holistic approach to medical care involves not only a person's body, but also their mind and spirit.
Lourdes respects everyone's beliefs and religious traditions. A chaplain can serve as a liaison to a person's parish minister.
Does Lourdes offer a daily mass?
Mass is offered Monday through Friday at 11:30 AM in our Chapel. (The Chapel is located on the First floor.) Lourdes' mass is also televised on closed circuit television throughout the hospital. Patients can tune-in to channel 4.
No mass will be offered on weekends and certain holidays.
What services does Spiritual Care offer?
Spiritual Care offers:
- Sacred readings such as the Bible and the Qur'an.
- Inspirational readings and audio tapes (available in English and Spanish).
- Electric Sabbath candles.
- Medals, scapulars, rosaries, and prayer cards.
- Holy communion. Volunteers offer holy communion to patients everyday.
- Spring and Fall bereavement services.
- Anointing of the Sick and Reconciliation.
- Emergency baptisms.
- Morning and evening prayers. Prayers are said over the hospital PA system to begin and end each day.
- Mass cards (available for a $10 donation).
- Prayer intention book. A prayer intention book is offered in the chapel.
- Online Prayer Requests.
How does Spiritual Care use volunteers?
The Spiritual Care Department uses volunteers as Extraordinary Ministers of Communion. We also use volunteers as office assistance for special projects.
Lourdes Spiritual Care Department
- Mary Alice Westerlund, MA, BCC, Director
- Brother James Bagans, CSC
- Reverend Krzysztof Boretto, CHS
- Brother Daniel Gallucci, Evening Chaplain
- Sister Kathleen Haley, DC
- Sister Diane Louttit, DC
- Reverend David Seaver, MDiv.
- Judy Kuehner, Senior Administrative Assistant
You can reach us by calling 607-798-5596 Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Chaplains can be reached after hours and on weekends through the hospital operator.