Who is a Registered Dietitian?
Registered Dietitians (RDs) are food and nutrition experts, translating the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living. The expertise, training, and credentials that back a Registered Dietitian are vital for promoting positive lifestyle choices.
Trust a Registered Dietitian
When you need food and nutrition information based on fact or need to know how a healthy diet improves health and fights disease- rely on qualified professionals in the field.
Registered Dietitians draw on their experience to develop a personalized nutrition plan for individuals of all ages. They are able to separate facts from fads and translate
nutritional science into information you can use. A Registered Dietitian can put you on the path to lowering weight, eating healthfully and reducing your risk of chronic disease.
RD's know the science of nutrition. They have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities. RDs must also complete a supervised examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration and earn professional education credits to maintain registration.
Registered Dietitians are part of the health care team while you are a patient at Lourdes. Dietitians work closely with all members of the health care team including physicians, nurses, pharmacists, case managers and speech therapists to ensure a multidisciplinary approach to patient care.
While you are an inpatient, the RD provides clinical nutrition services which include nutrition evaluation, individualized diets, self-management training and education and other needed nutrition interventions. The RD ensures your satisfaction, and provides quality care for for you while you are a patient at Lourdes.
303 Main Street, Binghamton, NY 13905
Outpatient consult services are available at Lourdes. Our registered dietitians provide current medical and scientific nutrition information as well as counseling strategies to help patients meet their individual goals.
Our Outpatient Nutrition Services provide the following services:
- Diabetes Self Management Program
- Diabetes support group
- Comprehensive nutritional counseling including:
- Food Allergies
- Gestational Diabetes
- Obesity & Weight Management
- Crohn's, Colitis, IBS
- Celiac Sprue
- Cardiac Disease
- Failure to Thrive
- Renal Disease
How to Make an Appointment
Appointments may be scheduled by calling 607-798-5723
Monday - Friday, 7:00 AM -5:30 PM
What you will need:
- A referral from your doctor. Referrals should be given to the patient and/or mailed or faxed to the Food and Nutrition Department at 607-798-8328 - Attention Misty Contreras. Please include any supporting documentation (i.e. lab results, progress notes, etc.).
- Insurance pre-approvals/authorizations should be obtained prior to scheduling the appointment. Many Insurance companies will cover nutrition consultation with a Registered Dietitian. It is always advisable to contact your insurance company to assure you are covered for any service being provided.