RISK FACTORS -
|•||High blood pressure|
|•||Family history of heart disease|
|•||Overweight by 20% or more|
|•||High stress lifestyle|
|•||Men over 45 years old|
|•||Women over 55 years old|
Coronary artery disease, also known as atherosclerosis, occurs when the arteries that carry blood and oxygen to the heart become clogged with plaque. The plaque build-up slows the flow of blood to the heart muscle causing ischemia and increasing the chance of fatal and non-fatal heart failure.
CT cardiac scoring is the best noninvasive test for quantifying coronary artery calcium content.
The procedure begins with a fast, convenient, and painless computed tomography (CT) exam. CT, more commonly known as CAT scanning, is the process of making an x-ray image of a very small section of your body. During CT scanning, an x-ray beam passes through the body and is recorded by electronic detectors. These detectors send the information to a computer where it is translated into an image.
During your exam, you will be attached to a cardiac monitor and then you will simply lie on the CT couch as it slowly moves into the donut-shaped gantry. The scanner then takes an image or picture of your beating heart while you hold your breath for approximately 20 seconds. The procedure requires no injections, treadmills, or preparation such as fasting.
The information acquired during your CT exam is then processed with HeartBeat-CS, a cardiac scoring software package that evaluates and quantifies the amount of calcium in your coronary arteries. The results will be sent to you and your doctor for further consultation.
NEW in 2010!
Health insurance may now cover this test. A physician's order is required.
Facts About Heart Disease
- Every 26 seconds, someone has a cardiac event.
- Every 45 seconds, someon has a stroke.
- Over 33% of all Americans who have a heart attack each year, show no symptoms before hand.
- 85% of sudden heart attacks may be prevented if the conditions that lead to the attack are diagnosed early enough to prescribe treatment to correct the problems.
- Coronary artery disease is the leading cause of death in most industrialized nations.
- Coronary artery disease claims more lives than lung, colon, prostate and breast cancer combined.
- Cardiac scoring is at least ten times more powerful a predictor of coronary artery disease episodes than cholesterol screening.
- 45% of all heart attacks occur in people under the age of 65.
- 44% of women who have heart attacks, die within a year after the attack.
- Women are 10 times more likely to die of heart disease than of breast cancer.
Where to go.
For information on where to go when you arrive for your appointment, visit our Where to Go page.
To schedule an appointment for a Cardiac Scoring Test, please call Lourdes at 607-798-5723.