169 Riverside Drive, Binghamton, NY 13905
The Center for Cardio-Vascular Health is a multi-disciplinary team of providers who have come together in an effort to provide early detection and prevention of cardio-vascular disease to the patients of Lourdes Primary Care Providers.
Cardio-vascular disease (CVD) is a group of medical problems that effect the heart and surrounding blood vessels. CVD can take many forms such as: high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, carotid artery disease, stroke, or abdominal aortic aneurysms.
Carotid artery disease is a narrowing of the carotid arteries, the major vessels in the body that supply blood to the brain, usually caused by plaque which is formed from cholesterol, fat, and other substances that build up on the surfaces of the artery.
Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) are a weakening of the artery wall. The artery may enlarge or balloon to the point where rupture is possible. Factors which can cause AAA are: high blood pressure, smoking, and family history of aneurysms.
Risk Factors for Developing Cardio-Vascular Disease are:
- Age - people 50 years of age or older are at an increased risk of developing cardio-vascular diseases.
- Diabetes - people with diabetes are at an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease.
- High Cholesterol - people with a total cholesterol level of greater than 200 are at an increased risk of having a heart attack or a stroke.
- Smokers - people who have or are currently smoking are at an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and AAA.
- Overweight - people who are overweight are at an increased risk of developing diabetes, having a heart attack, high blood pressure, or stroke.
- Lack of Exercise - people who exercise less than three times a week are at an increased risk of becoming overweight, developing diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke.
- Family History - having a family member who has suffered from stroke, heart attack, or aneurysm can put you at an increased risk for CVD.
If you feel that you may be at risk for developing Cardio-Vascular Disease and are a patient of the Lourdes Primary Care Network, call the Lourdes Center for Cardio-Vascular Health at 607-798-5723 to see if our Cardio-Vascular Screening is right for you.
The Cardio-Vascular Screening consists of:
- A brief carotid ultrasound to identify disease.
- A brief abdominal aortic ultrasound to identify aneurysms.
- Blood pressure readings to evaluate for high blood pressure.
- Results will be forwarded to your Primary Care Provider after review by one of our specialists.
Screenings are available Monday - Friday, take 20 minutes, and cost only $20.00
If you don't have a primary care provider, please call 1-877-9LOURDES for help in finding a Lourdes Primary Care Provider.