169 Riverside Drive, Binghamton, NY 13905
3101 Shippers Road, Suite 106, Vestal, NY 13850
Digital mammography is a mammography system where x-ray film is replaced by solid-state detectors that convert x-rays into electric signals. These detectors are similar to those found in digital cameras. The electrical signals are used to produce images of the breast that can be seen on a computer screen or printed on special films.
The dramatic difference in the quality of that picture allows Lourdes radiologists a better opportunity to discover abnormalities.
According to Janet Muhich, MD, "Digital Mammography is a revolutionary diagnostic tool that can detect breast cancer earlier."
How Does Digital Mammography Differ From Standard Mammography?
In standard mammography, images are recorded on film using an x-ray cassette. The film is viewed by the radiologist using a "light box" and then stored in a jacket in the facility's archives.
With digital mammography, the breast image is captured using a special electronic x-ray detector, which converts the image into a digital picture for review on a computer monitor. The digital mammogram is then stored on a computer. With digital mammography, the magnification, orientation, brightness, and contrast of the image may be altered after the exam is completed to help the radiologist more clearly see certain areas.
Digital mammography provides many benefits over standard film mammography. These benefits include:
- Improved contrast between dense and non-dense breast tissue.
- Faster image acquisition (less than a minute).
- Shorter exam time (approximately half that of film-based mammography) and fewer call backs.
- Easier image storage.
- Physician manipulation of breast images for more accurate detection of breast cancer.
- Ability to correct under or over-exposure of films without having to repeat mammograms.
- Transmittal of images over phone lines or a network for remote consultation with other physicians.
- Possible reduction in radiation exposure.
A Softer Mammogram
Lourdes is a Softer Mammogram Provider. This means we provide a soft foam cushion, called a MammoPad, free of charge for each woman's personal use during every mammogram. The MammoPad is placed on the compression plates of the mammography device and provides a softer, warmer mammogram. By combining MammoPad with digital, we now offer a high tech, soft touch mammography experience for women.